Article 10 of the Family Code of the Philippines provides that “marriages between Filipino citizens abroad may be solemnized by a consul-general, consul or vice-consul of the Republic of the Philippines. The issuance of the marriage license and the duties of the local civil registrar and of the solemnizing officer with regard to the celebration of marriage shall be performed by said consular official.”
The following are the requirements and procedures:
1. Both contracting Filipino parties should apply for a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage (LCCM) with the Embassy with the requirements below. This certification affirms that there are no legal impediments to the applicant’s marriage (e.g. if the applicant is already married to someone else).
a. Personal appearance of applicant
b. Accomplished application form.
The applicant must indicate her maiden name (if the applicant is female) and his/her civil status at the time of application (i.e. single, annulled or divorced)
c. Passport of the applicant
d. Original birth certificate issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) and authenticated/apostilled by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA)
e. Original Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) issued by PSA and authenticated/apostilled by DFA
f. For an applicant between 18 and 21 years of age, notarized parental consent signed by both of his/her parents
g. For applicants between 21 to 25 years of age, notarized parental advice signed by both his/her parents
2. The Embassy will post a Notice of Marriage on the Embassy’s Bulletin Board and at the nearest Roman Catholic Church for a period of ten (10) days. A 10-day waiting period will be observed, during which the names of the contracting parties will also be posted at the Embassy’s Consular Section. If nobody submits comments or objection to the notice of marriage, the applicants will be asked to pay the following:
- Affidavit for the Application of Marriage US$25.00/LAK250,000
- Marriage License US$25.00/LAK250,000
- Solemnization Fee US$60.00/LAK250,000
- Registration of Report of Marriage US$25.00/LAK250,000
3. After complying with the above requirements, the Contracting Parties shall request a date for the solemnization of their marriage at the Embassy and submit this form. On their wedding day, the Contracting Parties, four (4) witnesses above 18 years of age and preferably male and female, as well as their guests are requested to arrive at the Embassy at least one hour before the appointed time and in semi-formal or formal attire.